httpd-users mailing list archives

From "J. Greenlees" <li...@jaqui-greenlees.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] OT: Yahoo web mail
Date Mon, 06 Sep 2010 02:48:05 GMT
Doug McNutt wrote:
> Since January 2009 I have accumulated over 1000 messages to groups, that arrived with
improper 0A (UNIX line ends without a preceding 0D) in the body of the message. In order to
reply to such a message I have to remove them manually to avoid rejection by my SMTP server.
It's a PITA.

with Yahoo on its internal Bugzilla system. Details of the indictment are at <http://macnauchtan.com/editorials/QuotedPrintable.html>.

> I doubt that Yahoo is using apache but the issue does involve treatment of HTML forms
as they are passed to a CGI interface. Does apache ever do anything to clean up line ends
in forms delivered by a POST request as in a web mail site?

> Please, off list replies to address in the link unless useful to other listers.

What you are seeing is bad site scripting from the service provider, in
this case Yahoo.
Apache does nothing to any content being passed via forms or cgi unless
explicitly configured to do so.

Many of the free web based mail services don't even offer a plain text
option, which at least Yahoo does, but the web based mail services are
generally a poor option for any email list.