httpd-users mailing list archives

From Mike Schleif <...@helices.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Intermittent crashing web server service
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2010 15:12:17 GMT
On 9/2/2010 7:51 AM, Javier Arancibia wrote:
 > you have oracle. Open a metalink ticket,
 >
 > Javier
 > Mike Schleif
 > <mds@helices.org>
 > Para
 > 30/08/2010 15:33          users@httpd.apache.org
 > cc
 >
 > Por favor, Asunto responda a
 > Re: [users@httpd] Intermittent crashing web server service
 >
 > On 8/28/2010 10:39 PM, Frank Gingras wrote:
 >   >  On 08/28/2010 03:28 PM, Mike Schleif wrote:
 >   >>  I've a client running Apache on a MSWindows server with an
 >   >>  intermittent crashing web server service.
 >   >>
 >   >>  [1] Names&  Versions:
 >   >>
 >   >>  OS Name Microsoft® Windows® Web Server 2008
 >   >>  Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
 >   >>
 >   >>  C:\oracle\ora81\Apache\Apache\Apache.exe -v
 >   >>  Server version: Apache/1.3.12 (Win32)
 >   >>  Server built: Nov 8 2000 20:08:38
 >   >>
 >   >>  Service: OracleOraHome81HTTPServer
 >   >>
 >   >>  [2] SSL / https
 >   >>
 >   >>  [3] Apparently, the service crashes when accessed by Firefox
browsers,
 >   >>  not Internet Explorer.
 >   >>
 >   >>  [4] Following error_log message correlates with crashed
service; but,
 >   >>  service does NOT always crash when this error occurs:
 >   >>
 >   >>  [crit] (10038)An operation was attempted on something that is not a
 >   >>  socket: Parent: WSADuplicateSocket failed for socket 284.
 >   >>
 >   >>  It is always: "10038" ; always "WSADuplicateSocket" ; always
"socket
 > 284"
 >   >>
 >   >>  What else do you need to identify the root cause?
 >   >>
 >   >>  How can we correct this problem and prevent this problem from
 > recurring?
 >   >>
 >   >>  I appreciate all assistance in resolving this issue.
 >
 >   >  Mike,
 >   >
 >   >  Are you really still running 1.3.12?
 >   >
 >   >  Frank
 >
 > Yes.  I've googled the error, and others have experienced it on v2.x
 > apache - so, something with this problem is apache version agnostic.
 >
 > My client fears tampering with version dependencies.  Notice that their
 > application is on Oracle v8.1x.  Nothing about this problem is vendor
 > supported, which is why I'm consulting on this.
 >
 > If they're right, and this problem only occurs with Firefox, there
 > should be several less invasive solutions.
 >
 > Please, advise.

Of course, you noticed that this is running Oracle v8.1x ...

I'd settle for any ideas from the Apache community.  How would you
troubleshoot this as a web server issues?

What is Apache error # 10038?

Where are Apache configurations for sockets?

How could a Firefox browser session introduce a socket to a session that
is NOT introduced in an IE session?

Thank you, for your consideration.  I'm simply trying to troubleshoot
this as far as I can.

Also, I initially prepared this client for a scenario that we may need
to REJECT Firefox browsers at session initialization.  What may be the
simplest, most effective way to accomplish this?

If ever I can be of service to you; contact me at once.

I wish for you a truly extraordinary day ...

--
Best Regards,

Mike Schleif
612-235-6060