httpd-users mailing list archives

From Freek Dijkstra <pub...@macfreek.nl>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Conundrum
Date Mon, 23 Aug 2010 09:05:07 GMT
James Coyle wrote:
> Ever since I reinstalled Snow Leopard on my Mac, i've had some serious
> Apache issues. Judging from this diagnostic information:
>
>> httpd: Syntax error on line 54 of /private/etc/apache2/httpd.conf:
>> Cannot load /private/etc/apache2/libexec/apache2/mod_authn_file.so
>> into server:
>> dlopen(/private/etc/apache2/libexec/apache2/mod_authn_file.so, 10):
>> image not found

>From my computer (added line breaks for readability):
~% grep -rsi mod_authn_file.so /etc/apache2

/etc/apache2/httpd.conf:
  LoadModule authn_file_module libexec/apache2/mod_authn_file.so
/etc/apache2/httpd.conf~orig:
  LoadModule authn_file_module libexec/apache2/mod_authn_file.so
/etc/apache2/original/httpd.conf:
  LoadModule authn_file_module libexec/apache2/mod_authn_file.so

And indeed:
~% locate mod_authn_file.so
/usr/libexec/apache2/mod_authn_file.so

Thus, NOT /private/etc/apache2/libexec/apache2/mod_authn_file.so.

Clearly you (or some application) have (in the past) changed your
/etc/apache2/httpd.conf.
Likely, reinstalling Snow Leopard will not help, unless it overwrites
the httpd.conf (and I suspect that is only the case for a fresh install,
while an upgrade leaves changes in /etc intact).

I would do either of the following:
- manually change the LoadModule paths in /etc/apache2/httpd.conf to
point to the correct paths. (If you like I can sent my httpd.conf offlist.)
-OR-
- You can also download and reinstall just the apache distribution that
came with Mac OS X (but not all of Mac OS X). You can download it here:
http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/apache/apache-747.1/
(I have not tried it, but expect that it is simple a matter of make;
make install)

Regards,
Freek