httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] using protocols other than http
Date Thu, 19 Aug 2010 08:49:56 GMT

Yes, for example see http://httpd.apache.org/mod_ftp/

> and make it as a front end to a group of servers running in backend.
> As is the case with Reverse Proxy situation in virtual hosting of Apache.

Not sure I understand what the relation to the above question is. If you
want to make it a frontend to another server (the origin server), you
have to decide on the protocol to use between the frontend and the
origin server. There's no immediate relation between the protocol used
by the frontend and the one on the origin servers. If you want to use a
farm of origin servers, you need some balancing and stickyness logic in
addition.

Examples are mod_proxy, that comes with modules for
load-balancing/stickyness and protocol modules connecting origin servers
via http(s), ajp, scgi, ftp and connect. Trunk (beta) also supports fcgi
as a origin server protocol.

An alternative for fcgi without using mod_proxy is mod_fcgid
(http://httpd.apache.org/mod_fcgid/), an alternative for ajp is mod_jk
(http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/).

Regards,

Rainer