httpd-users mailing list archives

From Mike Soultanian <msoul...@csulb.edu>
Subject [users@httpd] Need help with VirtualHost/forwarding
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2010 23:27:12 GMT
Hi!
I have three servers, all of which are running Apache: F is the failing
server, P is the main production server, and I is the interim server.

Our current site is here on server F (failing server):

http://cota.csulb.edu

That server is failing - I need to get the site off of that server
immediately.  I have posted a new version of the site on server P (the
good production server):

http://www.csulb.edu/colleges/cota

Everyone has been using "cota.csulb.edu" so I can't just kill off that
DNS name.  The normal thing to do would be to update the DNS entry and
point it to server P (production server) and update the VirtualHost
entry on that server - the problem is that it can't be done for another
couple weeks (IT department won't do it right away as it involves
restarting all of the servers and a whole change management process).

So, what I would like to do in the interim is to point the DNS entry to
server I (interim server) which has Apache running on it and just
forward all cota.csulb.edu users straight over to
http://www.csulb.edu/colleges/cota - it doesn't even need to keep the
same URL in the address bar - I just need the user transferred over to
the new site location.

This seems like it should be an easy thing to do, but I honestly have no
idea how to do it and I would really appreciate your help!

Thanks!
Mike