httpd-users mailing list archives

From rono16 <>
Subject [users@httpd] Load Balancing and Failover
Date Mon, 02 Aug 2010 20:54:00 GMT

I have Apache Http Server  v2.2.3 configured as a reverse proxy with load
balancing to a WADI clustered application on Geronimo 2.1.5.  Load balancing
and failover works fine if one of the Geronimo instances fail.  However, if
only the application fails or is stopped I get a 404 error and failover does
not work? Apparently, Http server sees that the Geronimo server is up so
does not failover

Here’s the LB config:

<IfModule mod_proxy_balancer.c>
     <Proxy balancer://wadicluster>
           Order deny,allow
           Allow from all
         BalancerMember ajp://localhost:8209/NodeDetection loadfactor=50
         BalancerMember ajp://localhost:8409/NodeDetection loadfactor=50
     ProxyPass /NodeDetect balancer://wadicluster  stickysession=JSESSIONID
     ProxyPassReverse /NodeDetect ajp://localhost:8209/NodeDetect
     ProxyPassReverse /NodeDetect ajp://localhost:8409/NodeDetect

    <Location /balancer-manager>
         SetHandler balancer-manager
         Order Deny,Allow
         Allow from all

I need to make this work with an application failure as well as a server
failure.  Any ideas?  Thanks.
Sent from the Apache HTTP Server - Users mailing list archive at

See <URL:> for more info.
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
   "   from the digest:
For additional commands, e-mail: