httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Stephen Love" <stephenl...@juno.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Enabling CGI on Apache 2.2 on Mac OS X 10.6.4
Date Mon, 30 Aug 2010 22:42:05 GMT
I've got a script that runs in VB that can perform CGI easily, but PHP does a wonderful job
of it. Just install PHP, and take the time to learn it! BTW... PHP is VERY specific to the
version of apache you use... certain PHP versions work with certain APACHE and associated
modules, etc.

See us online at http://www.LOVEnCompany.com.

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Diego Sebasti&#65533;Birch <dsbirch69@hotmail.com>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Subject: [users@httpd] Enabling CGI on Apache 2.2 on Mac OS X 10.6.4
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 15:48:44 +0200

Hello everyone,
I've recently started developing applications on a Mac OS X, and one of them is a migration
from a C++ CGI written for MS Windows. Porting it has been more or less fine, but I'm stuck
with actually executing my program as a CGI. All I have managed to do is download my binary
image several times.
Unfortunately, I am new to Mac OS / POSIX / Apache development, although I have a fair knowledge
of similar concepts on MS Windows running IIS.
So far, what I have done is:1) Write a small application that outputs "HTTP/1.0 200 OK\\r\\nContent-type:
text/plain\\r\\nContent-length: 33\\r\\n\\r\\nProbando un CGI superchorra" (which is Spanish
for, more or less, "testing a really silly CGI") to the standard output.2) Build it and place
the executable file in "/Library/WebServer/CGI-Executables"3) Attempt to access the file via
http://localhost/cgi-bin/testcgi.cgi
After spending a few hours trying different things I've read in different places, without
really knowing what I was doing, I have managed to either download a binary image of the file,
or get an HTTP 500 error, but I don't even know where to look for the log files in order to
try to analize the cause.
Would anyone be so kind as to explain to me what steps I need to take in order to enable CGIs
on a specific user folder, taking into account Apple's efforts in hiding all configuration
files and such from me?
Thanks for the time taken to read this, and for whatever time you might take in trying to
help me.
Best regards,
Diego