httpd-users mailing list archives

From Harald Falkenberg <harald.falkenb...@desy.de>
Subject [users@httpd] strange behaviour during httpd start: chown operation 1 pro second
Date Fri, 02 Jul 2010 21:50:04 GMT
Hello,

I'm using apache server 1.3.41 on a solaris 10 system (x86). in httpd.conf
I set:
 	MinSpareServers 10
 	MaxSpareServers 90
 	StartServers 90
 	MaxClients 90

When starting apache via 'apachectl start' I see that these 90 processes
were started quite immediately, but it took almost 1,5 minuts before each
of the child processes changed their owner from root to another  local
user.

it is also suspicous, that when studying the ps output, that between each
change of owner for a further child process, a period of 1 second seemed
always be used.

In the documentation I find no hints for this behaviour. Only the
behaviour of minspareserver and maxspareservers give hints, that there is
a method implemented to spawn a certain amount of child  processes per
second.

However, does someone know what is causing this observed behaviour?

The problem here is, that no request is served before not all child
processes changed the ownership.

Thank you in advance!

Harald