httpd-users mailing list archives

From Marc Fromm <Marc.Fr...@wwu.edu>
Subject [users@httpd] RE: mime types
Date Tue, 27 Jul 2010 20:57:57 GMT
Update:
I moved the added mime types from the end of the file to the top of the list of mime types
in the file and now everything works.

These are the 3 lines added to the mime.types file (they were at the end and now they are
at the start of the list of mime tpyes):
application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document docx
application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet xlsx
application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.presentationml.presentation pptx

From: Marc Fromm [mailto:Marc.Fromm@wwu.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 1:43 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] mime types

IE8 is opening office 2010 files as zip files.
I Googled the problem and found many articles about office 2007 and the fix was to add the
docx and xlsx extensions to the /etc/mime.types file.
I did all that and restarted httpd.

Now instead of IE8 treating "docx" and "xlsx" files as .zip files it treats them as "doc"
and "xls" and thus when opening the files from a link in IE8 a converter message pops up that
requires 3 or more clicks until the file opens.

My server is red hat enterprise linux 5.2.

Does anyone know what else to do to enable IE8 to open Office 2010 files?

Thanks

Marc