httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tim Watts ...@dionic.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: Execute CGI (or FastCGI or PHP) on missing target file
Date Fri, 09 Jul 2010 09:01:35 GMT
On 09/07/10 09:41, Joost Heer, de wrote:
>> Specifically, what I'd like to do is to be able to execute one named CGI
>> (probably under FastCGI) where Apache cannot find an existing target
>> file (ideally with named extensions like .html but that's not so
>> important) after URL-path translation phase.
>
> ErrorDocument 404 /cgi-bin/template.cgi
>
> See http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/custom-error.html for environment variables you
can use in the CGI.

> Joost

Doh. Why didn't I think of that - seems very simple and elegant :)

I've just read it through and I don't see any problems (I presume I can
stop it sending a 404 code - I'll look into that).

Jut have to toss up between HTML::Template and Mason now.

One immediate advantage to using a smart templating system is I can hide
the page menus from the Google Spider which should improve the indexing
of the site (right now, Google guesses the main target page pretty well
but lists lots of the other pages too if the keyword is a menu item).

Thank you very much Joost :)

Cheers

Tim