httpd-users mailing list archives

From Bennett Haselton <benn...@peacefire.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] trying to ban IPs using htaccess - not working
Date Mon, 26 Jul 2010 00:23:20 GMT
At 05:08 PM 7/25/2010, Eric Covener wrote:
>On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 6:55 PM, Bennett Haselton
><bennett@peacefire.org> wrote:
> > By the way, I posted this question on vworker.com (where you can
> post "work
> > items" for contractors to bid on, although I more often use it to post
> > questions and then people submit bids for telling me the answer), and
> > someone told me the answer for $20.
> >
> > The answer, it turns out, is the /etc/httpd/conf.d/welcome.conf
> file has its
> > own ErrorDocument 403 directive which matches the "/" page when
> the "/" page
> > gives a 403 error, so that's why I was getting the Apache test page.
> >  Comment out the lines in welcome.conf or replace it with a
> zero-byte file
> > and you're good.  (It looks like on this machine we must have
> previously
> > figured this out at some point, because welcome.conf had been
> renamed to
> > welcome.conf.bak -- but then something mysteriously restored the
> > welcome.conf file, which broke it again.  I assume it might have
> been a "yum
> > update" which put back the welcome.conf file.  Hopefully having a
> zero-byte
> > file there will prevent yum updates from clobbering it.)
> >
> > This still does not solve the problem of why I'm not getting the right
> > custom 403 error when I go to https://209.160.28.154/
> though...  I still
> > don't know how to make the ErrorDocument directive apply to the
> https site.
>
>There's nothing too special about ErrorDocument, see the basic rules
>of configuration sections here:
>
>http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/sections.html
>
>And recusrively grep your configuration if you don't know what's there.

I've already read that page and followed the directions, and it's not
working the way the page describes it, or at least, there's something
missing.  The page says:
"What Directives are Allowed? --
To find out what directives are allowed in what types of
configuration sections, check the Context of the directive."

That's what I'm doing, and it does not work.  The "context" for
ErrorDocument says "server config, virtual host, directory,
.htaccess".  I have put the line
ErrorDocument 403 /banned_ip.php
in the httpd.conf file, in the ssl.conf file both inside and outside
the <VirtualHost> section, and in the .htaccess file, and none of
those combinations are working -- 403 errors in https urls are still
giving the default 403 error instead of the custom one.  There's some
extra step required that's not in the documentation, at least not in
that portion of it.  Do you know what it is?

         -Bennett