httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Wang, Mary Y" <mary.y.w...@boeing.com>
Subject [users@httpd] RE: IE 6 Won't Open Any Office Documents in the Browser
Date Mon, 07 Jun 2010 20:58:52 GMT
The problem has been solved.  I read some posts online. It turned out the Single Sign On configuration
was set to 'no-cache' and wasn't from httpd.conf.

Mary

-----Original Message-----
From: Wang, Mary Y
Sent: Monday, June 07, 2010 12:03 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] IE 6 Won't Open Any Office Documents in the Browser

Hi,
After I upgraded my web server to Apache 2.x, and I'm encountering a strange problem.
The IE browser won't open any documents in Office (.txt and .jpg files will open).  Everything
works fine on Firefox.
I've not changed any source code except the new Apache stuff.  Can I alter this behavior in
my httpd.conf?  Has anyone out there encountered this kind of problem before?

I found some information this Microsoft site  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316431 :
"In order for Internet Explorer to open documents in Office (or any out-of-process, ActiveX
document server), Internet Explorer must save the file to the local cache directory and ask
the associated application to load the file by using IPersistFile::Load. If the file is not
stored to disk, this operation fails.

When Internet Explorer communicates with a secure Web site through SSL, Internet Explorer
enforces any no-cache request. If the header or headers are present, Internet Explorer does
not cache the file. Consequently, Office cannot open the file. "

Thanks
Mary