httpd-users mailing list archives

From LuKreme <krem...@kreme.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: VirtualHosts warning
Date Sat, 05 Jun 2010 05:55:53 GMT
On 4-Jun-2010, at 08:20, Tom Evans wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 3:13 PM, LuKreme <kremels@kreme.com> wrote:
>> # apachectl -S
>> VirtualHost configuration:
>> wildcard NameVirtualHosts and _default_ servers:
>> *:*                    is a NameVirtualHost
>> …
>> Syntax OK
>>

>> Is this something that needs fixing? I ask because everything appears to work. And
how does one fix it. I've read the docs and I have to say I don't understand the issue.

> I don't think there is anything to fix there. What did you think was a
> warning - '*:*                    is a NameVirtualHost'? That is
> purely information.

No, the line above that. I read:

> With the NameVirtualHost directive you specify the IP address on which the server will
receive requests for the name-based virtual hosts. This will usually be the address to which
your name-based virtual host names resolve. In cases where a firewall or other proxy receives
the requests and forwards them on a different IP address to the server, you must specify the
IP address of the physical interface on the machine which will be servicing the requests.
If you have multiple name-based hosts on multiple addresses, repeat the directive for each
address.

Since this is my home installation, I cannot specify an IP address as my IP changes. Not very
often (ever year or so), but it does change.

My initial reading of that paragraph led me to the mistaken conclusion that I was supposed
to use an IP address (which is how my 'real' server is configured). Reading further, I see
that '*' is specifically listed as allowed.

--
THE PRESIDENT DID IT IS NOT AN EXCUSE Bart chalkboard Ep. AABF05