httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joost Schuttelaar <jo...@joostschuttelaar.nl>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] htaccess and httpd.conf precedence (mod_deflate)
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2010 21:21:32 GMT
Hi Eric,

> two pieces of trivia that might fill in some blanks:
>
> 1) SetEnv runs much later than SetEnvIf/BrowserMatch no matter what
> context you place it in
>
> 2)  somewhat counterintuitively, <Location has precedence over
> <Directory  -- perhaps you could wrap the canned deflate stuff in a
> <Directory> entry at a higher then your htaccess so the htaccess is
> processed second?

Thanks a lot! Actually these two pieces of trivia and http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/sections.html#mergin
filled in all the blanks. I've added a conditional override in the httpd-deflate.conf:

SetEnvIf override-gzip-in-httpd-deflate-conf 1 no-gzip dont-vary

And used that in my .htaccess file:

SetEnvIf Request_URI download_file\.php$ no-gzip dont-vary override-gzip-in-httpd-deflate-conf

Not an ideal solution, since it might not survive a site migration but at least the fix is
kinda explicit...

--

Joost Schuttelaar
The Hague, NL