httpd-users mailing list archives

From Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] RewriteRule failing when changing content-handlers
Date Wed, 30 Jun 2010 13:49:22 GMT
> Out of curiosity, any idea why this would work in a VirtualHost container
> but not in the per-dir .htaccess file? My only problem with this arrangement
> is that I'd need to restart apache when I make changes at that high of a
> level. Dropping in a .htaccess file is much more preferable.

when it happens in vhost context, rewrite happens in an early phase of
apache processing.
when it happens in per-dir context, it happens in a late phase and
causes the request to be restarted after the substituion.

so there are lots of opportunities for them to work differently.
99%of the time the per-vhost one is more intuitive / easier to deal
with.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com