httpd-users mailing list archives

From Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] htaccess and httpd.conf precedence (mod_deflate)
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2010 19:37:11 GMT
On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 12:12 PM, Joost Schuttelaar
<joost@joostschuttelaar.nl> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm running a Apache installation using a standard DirectAdmin setup, but I'm having
problems with handling of gzipped output.

> One of my PHP scripts outputs a .ZIP file (with appropriate headers). By default, the
output of this script gets gzipped by mod_deflate. Of course there is no need to gzip a zip
file, but decent browsers have no problem handling this. Internet Explorer mangles the file
though, unless you set a non standard content type.

> So, in order to fix this and disable gzip for this script, I've set up a line in my .htaccess
file:

> SetEnvIf Request_URI download_file\.php$ no-gzip dont-vary
>
> When I test this using wget (wget --header="Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate") this works
fine. Output from this script does not get gzipped. However, if I add the IE user agent header

> Strangely, when I replace the above line with 'SetEnv no-gzip', the content does not
get gzipped even though I send the IE user agent header. I've traced this back to the stock
httpd-deflate.conf which is included in my httpd.conf. It contains the following line:

> BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html
>
> When I comment this line out, things work as expected... does, for some reason, a BrowserMatch
reffered from httpd.conf have precedence over what's in a .htaccess file? Any suggestions?
I could change my httpd.conf, but when the site for instance gets moved to a different server
this problem might rear it's ugly head again...

two pieces of trivia that might fill in some blanks:

1) SetEnv runs much later than SetEnvIf/BrowserMatch no matter what
context you place it in

2)  somewhat counterintuitively, <Location has precedence over
<Directory  -- perhaps you could wrap the canned deflate stuff in a
<Directory> entry at a higher then your htaccess so the htaccess is
processed second?

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com