httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tom Evans <tevans...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] How to serve pages from a hidden secondary server
Date Thu, 10 Jun 2010 14:08:02 GMT
On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 2:56 PM, Matt Easton <matthewjeaston@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I've just joined this group as I'm trying more complicated things now than I've done
before in Apache! Please let me know if I'm not doing anything right. Thanks for your time.

> I have two computers on a home network, let's call them server1 and server2. They are
both running an Apache server on port 80.

to http://server1 (both on port 80)

outside of my home network. These are in a folder on the main site, i.e. http://server2/folder1

> Ideally, I want this to be done in such a way that it is hidden from the user that they
are in fact accessing a different server.
> Ideally I want them to go to http://home.domain.com/folder2 and actually be seeing http://server2/folder1
>
> I have tried doing this with mod_rewrite and failed. Is it possible to reference a different
server with mod_rewrite, or can this only be used for files on the same machine?

> At the moment I have managed to serve the pages, by telling my router to forward port
8081 to server2:80. Hence, if I go to http://home.domain.com:8081/folder1 then I get the pages
that I want. I have set up a Redirect directive on server1 so that http://home.domain.com/folder2
redirects to http://home.domain.com:8081/folder1, so I can get to the pages using the correct
URI, but it doesn't stay in the address bar - it is redirected to the other port.

> It is further complicated because the data I want to serve includes streaming media,
and this doesn't seem to cope with the 8081 port.

> I've been interested in the "mingle" emails today using proxies, but I can't get this
to work either.

> Both machines are running Ubuntu.
> server1: Ubuntu Karmic Koala 9.10 | Linux 2.6.31-22-generic | Apache/2.2.12 (Ubuntu)
> server2: Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04 LTS | Linux 2.6.32-22-generic | Apache/2.2.14 (Ubuntu)
>
> Many thanks, and please let me know if I've missed out any vital information!
> Cheers,
> matt

Enable mod_proxy and mod_proxy_html, add this to the vhost you want
/folder2 to appear on:

<Location /folder2/>
  ProxyPass http://server2/folder1/
  ProxyPassReverse http://server2/folder1/