httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jim Walls <...@k6ccc.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] domain point to apache
Date Mon, 21 Jun 2010 07:37:26 GMT
Nasir Zia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If i point a new domain in my DNS to my web server running Apache 2.2.
> It will automatically load the existing web site.
>
> I have two sites already running on my server. I want to point a
> different web site to my server it will show me the index pages of my
> already running site. How can i manage this on Apache level that if i
> point a new site in my dns to my web server it shows nothing unless
> define a Virtual Host for that new site.
>
> Which configuration i need on Apache side for implementing this

If there is no matching virtual server, you will get the first virtual
server in your config file.  Create a dummy virtual server as the first
entry and it will do what you want.  Mine is:

<VirtualHost *>
  ServerName no.name
  DocumentRoot "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs"
</VirtualHost>

That's the page you will get if you go to my server using the IP address
(for example).  It gets a simple page that lists all the sites (current
and former).  It's a way that I can still see sites that no longer have
a registered domain (such as my kid's baseball team from several years ago).

--
73