httpd-users mailing list archives

From Chris Montgomery <chrisnc...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Setting Up Virtual Host Help Needed on WinXP
Date Thu, 03 Jun 2010 21:21:28 GMT
Howdy,

I'm new to Apache web server. I have installed Apache 2.2.15 on my
Windows development computer to become familiar with using it to run my
web sites locally. The live production server will run them on a linux
box under Apache, so I want to get used to working with Apache in my
development environment.

I have Apache running locally and tested it by hitting http://localhost/
in my browser and getting the "It works!" web page. Now I want to simply
hit an index.html page in the top-level directory that will hold all of
my sites. On my development box in Windows XP, I have all of my sites
under d:\webapps\myapps (e.g. d:\webapps\myapps\site1,
d:\webapps\myapps\site2, etc.). I have put a dummy index.html page under
d:\webapps\myapps\ and attempted to set up a virtual host pointing to it
but it isn't working for me.

Here's what I have in my httpd-vhosts.conf file (which is being included
in the httpd.conf file):

NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
     DocumentRoot "D:/webapps/myapps/"
     ServerName myapps
     ErrorLog "logs/myapps-error.log"
     CustomLog "logs/myapps-access.log" common
</VirtualHost>

Now when I hit http://myapps/index.html in my browser, it redirects to
http://www.myapps.com/index.html with a page not found error.

Clearly, I'm not understanding how this works. Am I supposed to have an
entry for myapps in the Windows hosts file (e.g. 127.0.0.1 myapps)?

Any assistance in helping this Apache newbie to get started on this
would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

--
Best regards,

Chris Montgomery