httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Voellinger, Sandy" <Sandy.Voellin...@neustar.biz>
Subject [users@httpd] compiling a portable Apache build for Linux
Date Mon, 03 May 2010 18:21:07 GMT
Good Afternoon -

Apache Version:  httpd-2.2.15
Linux Version:  Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.4 (Tikanga) / 2.6.18-164.el5xen

I'm attempting to compile a version of apache_2 httpd binary that is agnostic of the directory
it's run from and will look for its configuration files local to the binary's run location.
(Example:  ./httpd will look for httpd.conf local to my run location reguardless of prefix).

At compile time, I'm required to provide a --prefix= directory or configure will assume that
I want it installed by default in /usr/local/apache.  I've tried to compile using --prefix=./
but this fails with " configure: error: expected an absolute directory name for --prefix:
."

I know I can create an alternative directory structure and use the -d and -f flags with ./httpd
to identify alternate prefix directory and httpd.conf locations at runtime but I want to avoid
having to pass these variables.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers-
Sandy

Sandy D. Voellinger
Neustar, Inc. / Applications Support and Systems Administration, Operations & Engineering,
DECE
46000 Center Oak Plaza Sterling, VA 20166
Office: +1.571.434.3412  Mobile: +1.703.568.3450  Fax: +1.571.434.XXXX / Sandy.Voellinger@neustar.biz
 / www.neustar.biz