httpd-users mailing list archives

From Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] 301 redirect
Date Tue, 25 May 2010 12:34:25 GMT
On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 8:28 AM, Matus UHLAR - fantomas
<uhlar@fantomas.sk> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 8:20 AM, Matus UHLAR - fantomas
>> <uhlar@fantomas.sk> wrote:

>> > as was mentioned (just for sure) - URL always starts with '/'.
>
> On 25.05.10 08:24, Eric Covener wrote:
>> For RewriteRule in .htaccess, the string you compare to never start with a /
>
> does mod_rewrite strip it in .htaccess? (good to know although not needed
> now)

The RewriteBase (whether configured or guessed) directive, plus a
trailing slash, is stripped from the string that RewriteRule compares
to in htaccess (or <Directory> context.  It's not stripped from e.g.
%{REQUEST_URI} when you use that in a REwriteCond or in the actual
substitution.

e.g. In your docroot, a request for "/" is matched by ^$ but not ^/$,
and a request for /foo/bar.html is matched by ^foo/bar.html$ if the
context is the docroot, or ^bar.html$ if the context is in the foo
subdirectory.

> However I was able to use Redirect /.../ in .htaccess too, it only may not
> apply if we specify wrong path.
>
> --
> Matus UHLAR - fantomas, uhlar@fantomas.sk ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
> Emacs is a complicated operating system without good text editor.

Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com