httpd-users mailing list archives

From Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_expires > Why are both the Expires and Cache-Control HTTP headers set?
Date Tue, 11 May 2010 00:04:14 GMT
On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Geoff Millikan <gmillikan@t1shopper.com> wrote:
>> The HTTP spec linked below says, "Servers specify explicit
>> expiration times using *either* the Expires header, or
>> the max-age directive of the Cache-Control header."

It later talks about times when you might want to set them to
different values, so I wouldn't interpret "either" as not allowing
both.

>> So why then does mod_expires set *both* the Expires HTTP
>> header *and* the max-age directive of the
>> Cache-Control HTTP header?  It's overkill to set
>> both, right?

It's been like that in mod_expires for more than 10 years, perhaps
there were clients that knew Cache-Control but not Expires (and 1.0
clients that have the other side)

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com