httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jonas Eckerman <jonas_li...@frukt.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] httpd vhost centralized logging
Date Fri, 28 May 2010 14:57:43 GMT
On 2010-05-24 11:16, James Corteciano wrote:

> I'm thinking to use logger tool for every httpd services running but
> it's not an ideal because it takes more resources in server. Let say
> there are 50 vhost in a server, then 100 logger apps will be running
> because 2 logger per vhost (ErrorLog & CustomLog).

Separate loggers for each main HTTP server is not the same as separate
loggers for each *virtual* host.

Set up the logging in the main httpd config and you can have all vhosts
use the same logger instance(s).

I currently have this in a reverse proxy with 65 vhosts:

CustomLog "|/usr/bin/logger -h 10.0.7.12 -t httpd -p local4.notice"
vhostcombinedsyslog
CustomLog "|/usr/bin/logger -h 10.0.7.12 -t httpd -p local4.notice"
vhostnumsyslognc

Those two lines results in a total of two logger apps running.

Regards
/Jonas
--
Jonas Eckerman
Fruktträdet & Förbundet Sveriges Dövblinda