httpd-users mailing list archives

From Igor Galić <i.ga...@brainsware.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Connections hanging...
Date Fri, 21 May 2010 20:57:10 GMT

----- "Tony Anecito" <adanecito@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> When load testing against a system that uses Apache we notice an
> extra-ordinary issue where we had quite a few connections. While not
> unexpected we were concerned. I ran a manual test against Apache and
> discovered sometimes connections would last exactly 30 seconds when
> closing them which turned out to be the same setting for WAIT_TIME for
> tcpip settings in my windows registry. I noticed the connection issue
> when closing connetions for IE 7. I also did not see the same issue
> with the latest version of FireFox but then I suspect it does not use
> the WAIT_TIME setting to obtain faster disconnect times for tcpip
> sockets?

Depending on how a connection is closed (I suppose), WAIT_TIME is the state
a socket connection will linger in, before the OS allows the port to be
reused.

> So I am not sure what the issue is if Apache is responding slowly to
> socket disconnects. Performance wise when viewing pages this 30
> seconds is not visible to the user but I am concerned about socket
> availability.

Unless you have KeepAlive Off, and are planning to serve more than
30K connections concurrently, this shouldn't be an issue.

--
Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 699 122 96 338
Fax: +43(0) 1 91 333 41