httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tom Evans <tevans...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Change authentication information
Date Tue, 27 Apr 2010 15:29:10 GMT
On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Tamas, Gabor <almaalmaalma@mailbox.hu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i' ve two machines, (A) is on the Internet site, which is a reverse proxy
> for (B). There is a user based authentication, and i' d like (A) to change
> the authentication details (only the username). So, for example if john
> comes, and tries to authenticate itself as john on server (A), i' d like (A)
> to change the username to ext-john. It should be transparent for (B), so (B)
> should get only ext-john as a username. If there' s any other solution,
> please let me know.
>
> Anyway, i tried to find a solution with mod_header and mod_sed, but the
> latest one cannot change the header, and the former one, well, with that i
> couldn' t catch the username.
>
> I hope there' s a simplier way to do it, than learn how to write an apache
> modul, and write my own.
>
> Thank You for any comment,
>  Tamas.

I don't have a sample config that does this, but the principle is as follows:

# Use RewriteCond to capture the user name - LookAhead, as auth
happens after rewrite
# Dont use LA-U in .htaccess, as rewrite in .htaccess happens after
auth (so not needed)
RewriteCond %{LA-U:REMOTE_USER} ^(.*)$
# Use RewriteRule to put that into an env variable
RewriteRule ^(.*) - [env=remote_user:%1]
# Use RequestHeader to update the request's headers to include our env variable
RequestHeader set X-Remote-User ext-%{remote_user}e

Like I said, not tested!

Cheers

Tom
RequestHeader