httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boehm, Matthew" <mbo...@theplanet.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Reason for 503
Date Fri, 30 Apr 2010 20:46:26 GMT
Hello,

I'm searching for a way to determine why apache would present/return a
503 Service Unavailable. I cannot seem to find a way to log this other
than the fact that it occurred. There is no information in the error_log
nor in /var/log/message nor in any of the access_logs dealing with any
of the vhosts when this occurs.

We receive this error on about 1% of all requests. So far this month, we
have 2,274,314 unique visitors comprising of 82,602,703 hits (according
to awstats), so 1% is a lot!

How can I determine the "reason" behind the 503? I tried looking at
apache source to see where "return error_503" may be but that is a
daunting task.

We are running PHP with the suPhpexec module, if that matters. All
mod_proxy* modules are disabled. We are running 2.2.14 on RHEL5.4.

Thanks in advance!

-Matthew