httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jason Nunnelley <ja...@jasonn.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Centralized logging.
Date Thu, 08 Apr 2010 21:18:28 GMT
I'm using syslog-ng. It does the job.

A nice little rsync script is nice, but you're still storing log files
on the individual servers until you run some rsync and delete script.
This can be risky if resources are limited or machines are ephemeral.

NFS has its own issues as well. You've got to ask yourself "What's my
plan B" and write that into your logging config/scripts.

On 4/8/10 3:52 PM, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> So how are people out there in mailing list land handling centralized
> logging?
>
> I'd like to mirror my web farm's logfiles on a central server, but want
> to be sure to preserve the W3C-ness so it's easy to run awstats, etc
> against them from off this central box.
>
> The options I see so far are:
>
>      - Piping to syslog via external process (perl script, etc).
>          * Downside being that we end up with syslog timestamps
>      - Pipe to something like netcat
>          * Custom-ish / hacky
>      - Fire off some sort of synchronization process from central box to
>        pull in logs (rsync) periodically.
>          * Asynchronous -- there's a somewhat large window of time where
>            logs will be missing on the internal server.
>      - Log directly to shared, remote file server (via NFS)
>          * Log server network issues or technical problems could affect
>            Apache servers
>
> How do you guys typically deal with this?
>
> Ray

Jason A. Nunnelley
+1 2562971652

http://www.google.com/profiles/imjasonn