httpd-users mailing list archives

From Ray Van Dolson <rvandol...@esri.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Centralized logging.
Date Thu, 08 Apr 2010 21:39:24 GMT
On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 02:18:28PM -0700, Jason Nunnelley wrote:
> I'm using syslog-ng. It does the job.
>
> A nice little rsync script is nice, but you're still storing log files
> on the individual servers until you run some rsync and delete script.
> This can be risky if resources are limited or machines are ephemeral.
>
> NFS has its own issues as well. You've got to ask yourself "What's my
> plan B" and write that into your logging config/scripts.

Thanks Jason.  We're using syslog-ng as well.

So how exactly are you implementing this?  Apache procs piping to a
perl process which shunts things out to your syslog server?

Do you do any post/pre-processing for timestamp duplication?  We want
to try and have the logs on the syslog server look exactly like they
did on the origin server (ie no syslog timestamps, no syslog
facility/priority stuff and no "hostname").

Ray