httpd-users mailing list archives

From Sean Conner <...@conman.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Preventing DoS attacks from single client host
Date Sun, 04 Apr 2010 00:53:02 GMT
It was thus said that the Great Nerius Landys once stated:

> I'm wondering what methods are preferred for preventing this sort of
> attack.  I'm wondering this for two reasons: 1) I want to secure my
> websites and 2) I want to learn techniques that address this issue
> because I'm writing my own TCP-oriented server software.
>
> I'm also wondering if there exist any other good strategies for
> dealing with a DoS attack as described above, coming from a single
> host.
>
> Your thoughts are very much appreciated.

  I've had experience with that type of thing several years ago:

	http://boston.conman.org/2003/12/17.1
	http://boston.conman.org/2004/01/04.2

  But I haven't experienced such an attack in the past six years, so I don't
think they're all that common (at least, if there isn't a reason to attack
your site or server).  Also, if you are concerned about handling TCP
traffic, you should read:

	http://www.kegel.com/c10k.html

  which gives a lot of helpful advice for handling large amounts of TCP
traffic.

  -spc