httpd-users mailing list archives

From Dan Poirier <poir...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] multiple instances of rotatelogs writing to the same file
Date Wed, 10 Mar 2010 13:22:28 GMT
On 2010-03-09 at 11:03, stupidmail4me <stupidmail4me@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have several virtual hosts piping their log files to rotatelogs. For various reasons
I have two virtual hosts piping to the same log file:
> <VirtualHost 1.2.3.4>
> CustomLog "|/usr/sbin/rotatelogs /logs/site/access_log.%U-%Y 604800" combined
> </VirtualHost>
> <VirtualHost 1.2.3.5>
> CustomLog "|/usr/sbin/rotatelogs /logs/site/access_log.%U-%Y 604800" combined
> </VirtualHost>
>
> In this case there are understandably two processes of rotatelogs running:
> .../usr/sbin/rotatelogs /logs/access_log.%U-%Y 604800
> .../usr/sbin/rotatelogs /logs/access_log.%U-%Y 604800
>
> Is this setup going to cause any unintended consequences?

Yes.

> I'm thinking it might run into a couple of problems but the man page
> and the web doesn't have a real answer.

Well, if the doc tried to list all the things people might try that
wouldn't work, it would get awfully long.  Nevertheless, if you look at
<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/en/stopping.html> you'll see this:

   Multiple running instances of rotatelogs attempting to rotate the
   same logfiles at the same time may destroy each other's logfiles.

Dan