httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nilesh Govindarajan <li...@itech7.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] multiple instances of rotatelogs writing to the same file
Date Wed, 10 Mar 2010 13:39:13 GMT
On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 9:33 PM, stupidmail4me <stupidmail4me@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have several virtual hosts piping their log files to rotatelogs. For various reasons
I have two virtual hosts piping to the same log file:
> <VirtualHost 1.2.3.4>
> CustomLog "|/usr/sbin/rotatelogs /logs/site/access_log.%U-%Y 604800" combined
> </VirtualHost>
> <VirtualHost 1.2.3.5>
> CustomLog "|/usr/sbin/rotatelogs /logs/site/access_log.%U-%Y 604800" combined
> </VirtualHost>
>
> In this case there are understandably two processes of rotatelogs running:
> .../usr/sbin/rotatelogs /logs/access_log.%U-%Y 604800
> .../usr/sbin/rotatelogs /logs/access_log.%U-%Y 604800
>
> Is this setup going to cause any unintended consequences? I'm thinking it might run into
a couple of problems but the man page and the web doesn't have a real answer. Does apache
and rotatelogs handle cleanly the rotation because there are two processes trying to do the
rotation? Is there a file locking problem with rotatelogs whereby one process won't be able
to write to the log file?

Use standard logging methods, and run logrotate regularly using cron.
I do it this way. With logrotate you can also mail the owner(s) of the
virtualhosts a compressed version of the log for analysis and delete
it from your server.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Administrator