httpd-users mailing list archives

From ARTHUR GOLDBERG <a...@cs.nyu.edu>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache2::Resource
Date Wed, 31 Mar 2010 23:55:42 GMT
Hi users@httpd

As I mentioned in an earlier email, we're running mod_perl on Apache
(2.2) on RHEL, using the prefork MPM. I want to protect my server
against Perl processes that grow much too large, as they can slow or
even freeze the system.
Therefore, I'm using Apache2::Resource, adding the following to
httpd.conf:
> PerlModule Apache2::Resource
> # set child memory limit to 1000 megabytes
> # RLIMIT_AS (address space) will work to limit the size of a process
> PerlSetEnv PERL_RLIMIT_AS 1000
> PerlChildInitHandler Apache2::Resource

httpd processes die as expected when their VM size reaches 1000 MB.

But here's the problem. After the httpd serving the Request dies, a
new one is created to handle the same request. And so on.
I think this is all done in Apache, as the access log doesn't show
another request from the client. Is this correct?
How can I limit the number of 'retries' of the failing request? Is
there an Apache directive?
And I'm still looking for a way to 'catch' the exception when the
process dies.

Regards
Arthur

Arthur P. Goldberg, PhD

Research Scientist in Bioinformatics
Plant Systems Biology Laboratory
www.virtualplant.org

Visiting Academic
Computer Science Department
Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences
www.cs.nyu.edu/artg

artg@cs.nyu.edu
New York University
212 995-4918