httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] can .htaccess make url better ?
Date Mon, 08 Mar 2010 14:10:48 GMT

On Mar 8, 2010, at 4:15 AM, J. Bakshi wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> the click enlarge facility of an image gallery generates the links
> in a
> very ugly manner, like
>
> ````````````````
> http://192.168.1.1/reifenqualitaet/index.php?eID=tx_cms_showpic&file=uploads/tx_reifenqualitaetimage/image-227X227_02.jpg&bodyTag=

> ````````````````
>
> Is it somehow possible to generate the link little nicer by the help
> of
> .htaccess ?

It is possible, using mod_rewrite, to make most URLs look different.
One person's notion of nice may be different from another. I would,
however, recommend that you ask this question of users of this
particular image gallery software, as they very likely have a standard
way of doing what you're trying to do.

Failing that, I would suggest that you look at the mod_rewrite docs (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/rewrite/

  and http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/Rewrite) and see if there's
something there that does what you need.

Also, note that .htaccess files are merely one of the places that you
can put configuration directives. When possible, you should try to put
directives in the server configuration file rather than in .htaccess
files.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@apache.org