httpd-users mailing list archives

From Mike Hagerty <hager...@bc.edu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] How to map http://www.myaddress.com to http://www.myaddress.com:8000 ?
Date Sun, 28 Feb 2010 19:56:14 GMT
Hi.
As I stated, I am behind a firewall that is controlled remotely, so
port 80 is blocked (unless your come in from within our domain).
I have successfully run it for several years on port 8000 (any port >
1024 would do) but I would like to have
it so that the port number does not need to be specified by a user
wishing to access my site.
i.e., I want apache to reroute all traffic coming in on the (httpd)
default port 80 to port 8000.

I don't know if this is something apache can do (i.e., if it can
change the default port for http://www.mysite.com from 80 to 8000)
  or if I need to accomplish it outside of apache (find some software
that maps port 80 to port 8000) ?

I'm kind of surprised (doubtful) that I would be the first person to
ask this -- other sites that have to use higher ports must wonder if
the added
burden of remembering/typing the port no. in the url deters users
from finding their site (?)

Thanks for your help,

-Mike