httpd-users mailing list archives

From Mike Hagerty <hager...@bc.edu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] How to map http://www.myaddress.com to http://www.myaddress.com:8000 ?
Date Sun, 28 Feb 2010 21:50:08 GMT
Okay, here is my limited understanding of apache ...
When you set the port to 8000 in /etc/apache/httpd.conf - you are
telling apache to listen on port 8000
for requests to serve, rather than on the default port (80).

However, this means that users must access your site by adding ":
8000" to the url in their browser.

I cannot use the default port (80) because it is behind a firewall at
the university where I work.
If I use that port, then I can access my site from an IP address
within our domain, but not from an outside
IP, which renders it useless to me.  Presumably the firewall will not
allow communications to port 80 (or any port < 1024)  on
any machine (other than their official servers I suppose) from an
outside IP.

When I say that I cannot receive traffic on the default port (80),
this is what I mean.

I guess the answer here is that there is no way around it - if a
browser does not specify the port in the url request,
then it will automatically send the request to port 80 on the server
and the firewall will block it before it reaches my server ...