httpd-users mailing list archives

From Philip Wigg <p...@philipwigg.co.uk>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] myriads of access to unknown pages on my server bring my server down (DOS?)
Date Wed, 10 Mar 2010 14:09:09 GMT
On 10 March 2010 13:34, peter pilsl <pilsl@goldfisch.at> wrote:

> My apache was slowing down big time today morning and when I looked at the logs I realized
that I've approx 10 page-requests per second from various ip's to pages that are not hosted
on my server.

> example:
>
> buzzurl.jp 204.45.41.82 - - [10/Mar/2010:14:49:34 +0100] "GET http://buzzurl.jp/tag/firefox%20add-ons/200902
HTTP/1.1" 200 19620 "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible
> ; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1)"
>

> the requested page and the source-IP are new in every line.
>
> I know this "ghosts" from earlier logs and never knew why they were in my logs but I
never thought about it, cause they were infrequently. But now I'm really overrun by these
request.

> So I wonder: whats going on here?  Is this a targeted attack? where are these requests
coming from?

> buzzurl.jp (from the above example) does not resolve to my host-ip, but thats not the
issue cause the name is in the request-header. What worries me more is that my apache didnt
give back a 404 like it should but a 200 !!??

> How can that be?  I dont have a default-page running and when I reconfigure my client
here so that buzzurl.jp points to my server and request buzzurl.jp then I get a 404.

> So again: whats going on here? Why does my apache give my precious time to stupid request?
does the request trick my apache?

> As you can imagine I'm bit in a stress here, cause my "real" webpages are getting incredible
slow and the requests dont stop and I dont know how I can block them.

> Any idea or experience with this?

You might be accidentally running Apache as a forward proxy. Do you
have 'ProxyRequests On' in your configuration?

--Phil