httpd-users mailing list archives

From Marc Buyens <marc.buy...@xpragma.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Locked Apache configuration file
Date Sat, 20 Mar 2010 16:52:26 GMT
Hello. Many thanks for this. I am new to W7 and wasn't aware of this.
This is clearly one more Bill Gates quirk. What's the use of assigning
administrator rights to users if they are not used? Anyway, you solved
my problem. Explicitly asking to run as administrator allows me to
change the file. It is a bit like confirming that I am still alive
before editing the file. Some form of technology progress, I assume, but
not a progress of human logic...

On 20/03/2010 17:22, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
> On 3/20/2010 9:48 AM, Eric Covener wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Marc Buyens<marc.buyens@xpragma.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it does not solve the mystery. I
>>> installed the tool and used the search option to find references to the
>>> file, but without result. I am not an expert in these things, but I tried
>>> finding references to the file or its folder, etc. in various ways, but it
>>> does not return any results.
>>> Another thing that I observed is that I can rename the file, but if I do so,
>>> the file is immediately recreated.
>>>
>> What made you think it was "locked" in the first place?  There's a
>> Vista/Win7 FAQ that lets users edit administrator-owned files by
>> silently redirecting them as soon as you make changes, but Apache sees
>> the original.
>>
> Note it is more insidious than that.
>
> Even the administrator is editing files as 'just a user' in the normal Windows 7
> or Vista UAC environment.  You actually have to create yourself a real admin
> session to bring up these files in notepad or what have you.
>
> Either set your notepad shortcut to 'run as user administrator' or you can just
> launch an admin cmd.exe prompt (which isn't what happens when you run cmd.exe)
> by either tagging the shortcut to run-as-user, or by invoking
>
> runas /user:administrator "cmd.exe /k"

Marc Buyens
Analyst, Management Consultant&  Managing Director

Xpragma bvba
Mechelsesteenweg 254
B-2820 Bonheiden
Belgium