httpd-users mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Locked Apache configuration file
Date Sat, 20 Mar 2010 16:22:55 GMT
On 3/20/2010 9:48 AM, Eric Covener wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Marc Buyens <marc.buyens@xpragma.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it does not solve the mystery. I
>> installed the tool and used the search option to find references to the
>> file, but without result. I am not an expert in these things, but I tried
>> finding references to the file or its folder, etc. in various ways, but it
>> does not return any results.
>> Another thing that I observed is that I can rename the file, but if I do so,
>> the file is immediately recreated.
>
> What made you think it was "locked" in the first place?  There's a
> Vista/Win7 FAQ that lets users edit administrator-owned files by
> silently redirecting them as soon as you make changes, but Apache sees
> the original.

Note it is more insidious than that.

Even the administrator is editing files as 'just a user' in the normal Windows 7
or Vista UAC environment.  You actually have to create yourself a real admin
session to bring up these files in notepad or what have you.

Either set your notepad shortcut to 'run as user administrator' or you can just
launch an admin cmd.exe prompt (which isn't what happens when you run cmd.exe)
by either tagging the shortcut to run-as-user, or by invoking

runas /user:administrator "cmd.exe /k"