httpd-users mailing list archives

From Reese <howel...@inkworkswell.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_php script 'queue'
Date Fri, 12 Mar 2010 18:59:46 GMT
On 12-Mar-10 13:49, Jonathan Zuckerman wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 9:36 AM, Reese <howell.r@inkworkswell.com> wrote:
>
>> On 12-Mar-10 11:31, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 6:49 PM, Bruno - e-comBR <bruno@e-combr.com.br>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>  It's causing a little throuble for me. When a PHP script generates a

>>> I don't use mod_php, so don't know about its behavior. But I recommend
>>> you inform the users that the report can take upto ten minutes to
>>> generate and to be patient. That's the only solution I see.
>>>
>> Else, if you can make the PHP script 'smart' in some way so that a
>> popup or other visual indicator will give constant, visual feedback
>> on the progress of the request. With a "Cancel" button that functions
>> to kill the original request while blocking page refreshes. They can
>> start over from scratch if they like.
>>
>> Reese

> Is there any way to cache the report?

You could get the parameters sorted out, then create a cron job
from it and feed it to a .log file. This log file could be made
available to administrators only, the world or something in
between, depending on where in the file system it is located and
the associated permissions.

> To eventually ensure the user sees the report when it's done being
> generated, you could do some fancy Keep-alive with the http request, or just
> have some javascript on the page that automatically reloads it, and upon
> reload the script will check to see if there's a report built for that user,
> otherwise it checks to see if there's a lock.  If there's a lock, it stops
> and waits to try again soon.  If there is no lock, it starts a new report.

Or compress and store or mail it to them (and others?), starting a new
log file after each clock cycle.

This is starting to feel like reinventing HTTP access logs. We got off
track somewhere.

Reese