httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Daniel Reinhardt" <crypto...@cryptodan.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Locked Apache configuration file
Date Sun, 21 Mar 2010 00:46:59 GMT

From: "William A. Rowe Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net>
Sent: 20 March, 2010 18:18
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Locked Apache configuration file

> On 3/20/2010 1:02 PM, Daniel Reinhardt wrote:
>>
>> Why not install Apache and other web serving stuff into a non-protected
>> directory like c:\usr\local\apache
>
> My c:\usr is quite locked down, thank you very much :)
>
>> You can customize your installation locations.
>
> We already enable that in the MSI installer.
>
>> C:\Program Files is protected by the OS.
>
> C:\ Root is protected by the OS as well.
>
> The point isn't to run it as a unix app on windows, but to be a first class
> citizen.  To do that, it's all about respecting conventions.
>
> It appears that convention is now C:\ProgramData\Vendor\Application\
>
> The idea moving fowards is there is only one copy of the program, by
> default in the usual location, but the ability to install a skeleton
> of a service (conf, logs, htdocs) anywhere, usually ProgramData as the
> global/system server, but optionally a private-for-one-user flavor in
> their own \Users\[username]\AppData\Local [or Roaming?]
> profile, if they like.  Still working this through.
>
> Making win32 more unix-like doesn't help win32 folks become acquainted with
> Apache, very much.  But if you like to install everything under c:\opt\httpd
> you are welcome to do that, instead :)

William,

You pretty much missed the entire point of my post, as it went clear over your
head.  You can install anything you want and have it reside outside of
c:\program files and it would still work.

On 64bit Windows it comes with 2 Program Files and they are: c:\program files
which is for 64bit applications, and then there is c:\program files(x86)\ which
is for 32bit applications.  There is no default or conventional way of
installing things on Windows or Linux.

Reread my reply to you a little bit slower, and you will see what I was trying
to say.  THe directory path I was giving you as an example was just that an
example.  I use WAMP Server, and I installed it on my D: drive under d:\apache2.

I am not making it more unix like.

Thanks,
Daniel