httpd-users mailing list archives

From James Smallacombe ...@3.am>
Subject [users@httpd] Suhosin vs. mod_security
Date Fri, 19 Feb 2010 15:25:42 GMT

After a recent php compromise of the www user on my web server via the Zen
Cart "record company" exploit, I installed the Suhosin extension (patch
was already there).  Suhosin helped a great deal.  It enabled me to block
certain php functions globally and re-enable them on a per-vhost basis, as
needed.  Perhaps just as importantly, it logged violations, along with IP
addresses, which not only enabled me to track down attackers, but also
troubleshoot which vhosts needed which functions to work properly.

After having customers' content providers patch their respective Zen Carts
and purging/disabling the several c99shells and other nasty scripts
uploaded by kiddies, we found that the patched Zen carts wouldn't function
properly and wasn't logging what part of Suhosin was blocking
functionality. Neither Zen developers nor the Suhosin author responded to
requests for a workaround for this.

Sadly, there doesn't appear to be any current development or support for
the Suhosin extension, no forum or mailing list.  This leaves one
wondering what the best way is to manage php (and other) security on the
web server.  Does mod_security allow some of the same funtionality, and is
there current support and development of it?  What's the best current
practive WRT Apache and php security?

TIA,

up@3.am							    http://3.am