httpd-users mailing list archives

From Ruiyuan Jiang <Ruiyuan_Ji...@liz.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Bugs or problem?
Date Thu, 25 Feb 2010 15:30:56 GMT
Hi, Rich

Yes the login page for the user authentication comes from Tomcat server. The traffic between
Solaris Apache and HPUX Apache server are strictly 'http', HPUX Apache redirect traffic to
AJP port of Tomcat through mod_jk. In my Apache 2.2.14 test, except downgraded Apache from
v2.2.14 to 2.0.15 on Solaris and its related configuration changes in httpd.conf, there is
no other changes made. That is why I think there is a problem in Apache v2.2.14.

I should make it clear. In my previous HPUX Apache v2.2.8 problem, the Apache on HPUX had
two separate virtual servers. At the time, one virtual web server had strictly static html
web pages and served by Apache directly. The other virtual web server uses mod_jk for the
communication between Apache and Tomcat. When the problem happened, clients could access web
server with static web pages no problem. Clients could not access the web server with Apache
and Tomcat. Restart Tomcat did not help. Restart Apache helped. It could last for several
days no problem. After that, the problem happened again and needed to restart Apache again.
Once I downgraded Apache from v2.2.8 to v2.0.59 without other changes, the problem is gone.

Ryan

-----Original Message-----
From: Rich Bowen [mailto:rbowen@rcbowen.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2010 8:49 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Bugs or problem?

On Feb 24, 2010, at 4:45 PM, Ruiyuan Jiang wrote:

> Well, I posted the problem two weeks ago and nobody responded. I will do it again.

I'm sorry. I missed that.

> 2. The problem that I have now is:
>
> Solaris 10, Apache 2.2.14 reverse proxy --> HPUX 11.23, Apache 2.0.59, Tomcat 5.5
AJP --> Oracle DB

> The web sites are having user login page. Once the users enter their user names and passwords,
the page does not refresh itself to tell the users that they have logged in. Rather the web
page still shows login page until the users click F5 to refresh the web page and then the
web page shows the users are logged in. The same happened when the users logged out.

> Now I tested with this setup:
>
> Solaris 10, Apache 2.0.59 reverse proxy --> HPUX 11.23, Apache 2.0.59, Tomcat 5.5
AJP --> Oracle DB

> The problem went away.
>
> Note those Apache are pre-compiled either by HP or internet, I did not compile myself
although I can. At the time the latest version compiled by HP was Apache 2.2.8.

The use of the term "login page" makes me wonder if maybe the error lies at some higher layer
than Apache. Apache implements authentication in ways that don't involve a "login page", and
so presumably this login page is from some third-party application, or something you have
coded yourself, Is there a HTTP Redirect involved in this page refresh, or is it a AJAX action?
Can you watch the traffic (either something like Firebug, or something on the server) to observe
what's happening, and where the message is getting dropped?

This message (including any attachments) is intended
solely for the specific individual(s) or entity(ies) named
above, and may contain legally privileged and
confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify the sender immediately by
replying to this message and then delete it.
Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message,
or the taking of any action based on it, by other than the
intended recipient, is strictly prohibited.