httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache newbie help - Multiple /usr/sbin/httpd2-preforks ...
Date Fri, 26 Feb 2010 13:35:43 GMT

On Feb 26, 2010, at 8:31 AM, Richard Peacock wrote:

> I was diagnosing an un-related issue on my web-server and had to list processes to see
which PID needed to be killed.  I noticed that there were several entries for the “http2-prefork”
process …

> I mean, it’s not a huge problem or anything the webserver seems to be running OK -
but is it right there should be multiple processes running like this?  I am sorry but I do
not know if you need to view any configs or if there is a setting somewhere that controls
the number of processes, I installed it through Yast and left it as default (as I am a newbie
and this is for a home website!).

Yes, this is how it works. There's one parent process, and it pre-forks (creates multiple
copies) in order for each one of those copies to handle incoming requests. It's normal and
expected. Each child process can handle an inbound request, and the parent is responsible
for delegating the requests to the child processes, and making sure that there are enough
to handle the load.

--Rich