httpd-users mailing list archives

From Anand Sathe <anand_sa...@yahoo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] [mod_deflate] logging issue when not using virtual hosts
Date Wed, 17 Feb 2010 09:20:54 GMT
Hi,
I am having a peculiar issue with turning on logging for mod_deflate.

Environment:
Apache 2.2.6 running on Linux (SuSE 11 x86 64 bit).
I have no virtual hosts defined - all my configuration is in httpd.conf
 Here is a snapshot of my httpd.conf
# Filters allow you to process content before it is sent to the client.

<IfModule deflate_module>
     AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain text/xml application/xml application/xhtml+xml

text/javascript text/css application/x-javascript
     BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html
     BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4.0[678] no-gzip
     BrowserMatch bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html
     DeflateCompressionLevel 9
     DeflateFilterNote Input instream
     DeflateFilterNote Output outstream
     DeflateFilterNote Ratio ratio
     LogFormat '"%r" %{outstream}n/%{instream}n (%{ratio}n%%)' DEFLATE
     DeflateFilterNote ratio
     LogFormat '"%r" %b (%{ratio}n) "%{User-agent}i"' DEFLATE
     CustomLog logs/deflate_log DEFLATE
</IfModule>

The Problem:
Content is getting zipped as expected. However, the custom log (logs/deflate_log) gets created
but stays empty - nothing ever is recorded there.
I AM aware of this issue as mentioned in the httpd docs:
" If CustomLog or ErrorLog directives are placed inside a <VirtualHost> section, all
requests or errors for that virtual host will be logged only to the specified file. Any virtual
host which does not have logging directives will still have its requests sent to the main
server logs."

However, since i do not have a virtual hosts section defined and my CustomLog and ErrorLog
directives are for the entire server, this should not apply to me (i think?)

Any help appreciated
Thanks!
Anand