httpd-users mailing list archives

From Igor Franchuk <sp...@online.ru>
Subject [users@httpd] A strange problem
Date Mon, 08 Feb 2010 14:13:27 GMT
Hello users,

  I have apache 2.2.14-r1/events MPM running on Gentoo with the 2.6.31 linux
  kernel

  The problem starts as usually - from time to time I have many threads in W state,
  which won't leave the state. The threads engaged in writing have
  an IP address to where Apache supposedly transmits the requests.

  If I #netstat -nt | grep "IP engaged in the W"
  I would have an empty reply, no connection to IP present. Yet the server-status
  insists that threads are engaged in writing. No load is generated but the slots are
  busy, the memory is used etc.

  The question is - could someone with a deep apache understanding shed some light
  on how it could possibly happen. Yes, this server sometimes is attacked, that true.
  I just don't see how it could write to a closed socket and stay
  there not knowing that the connection was closed. Yes, I have custom
  TCP settings to close connections faster.

  But what is idea behind it? How could system know about a closed
  connection and Apache not?

  Thanks in advance.

--
Best regards,