httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Daniel Reinhardt" <crypto...@cryptodan.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] How to force CRLF on non .txt files when directory browsing?
Date Tue, 09 Feb 2010 20:40:43 GMT

From: "Jonathon Veencamp" <jdveencamp@gmail.com>
Sent: 09 February, 2010 20:03
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] How to force CRLF on non .txt files when directory
browsing?

> I'll quantify the problem a little better.  If I go on linux to the
> directory I am browsing via the HTTP server and issue these commands:
> # touch test.log
> # echo one >> test.log
> # echo two >> test.log
> # cp test.log test.log.txt
>
> If I use my brower to open test.log, it launches notepad on Windows which
> contains a single line:
> one two
>
> and this has a square character after each of the words.  Undisplayable
> character.  If I view this in a hex editor, it's just a LF.
>
> If I use my browser to open test.log.txt, then the browser displays
> one
> two
>
> And if I do a view source in the browser, then it is simple text with no
> tags. If I view this in a hex editor, it has a CR/LF.    So obviously the
> HTTP server is processing it differently.  What I want is for the server to
> treat .log files the same as it does .txt files.  But I'll be darned if I
> can find anyone else that tried to solve this same problem.  I've googled
> for hours on this.  Though maybe I'm a poor googler.  ;-)
>
> TIA
> Jon
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 1:51 PM, Jonathon Veencamp <jdveencamp@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I don't think it's a poor editting thing.  I think this is the difference
>> between Unix and Windows and CR/LF on Windows versus LF on Linux.  The HTTP
>> server is adding CR/LF to .txt files to display them correctly in the
>> browser.  But I can't get it to display .log files in the same manner.
>>
>> Thanks both of you for the very quick replies.  This is my first question
>> via this list, and it was suprisingly fast response!
>>
>> Jon
>>   On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Daniel Reinhardt <
>> cryptodan@cryptodan.net> wrote:

Jon,

Then move the log files to a txt document.  It is asking you to open notepad,
because your browser doesn't know how to handle *.log extensions.  Its something
to do with how the browser sees the octet stream and application type via
mime.types I think.  I am no expert, but I am only speculating on why this
happens.

Thanks,
Daniel