httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] How to force CRLF on non .txt files when directory browsing?
Date Tue, 09 Feb 2010 22:07:34 GMT
On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 13:47:25 -0600
Jonathon Veencamp <jdveencamp@gmail.com> wrote:

> But if I rename the file to *.log.txt, then the HTTP server and browser
> handles it correctly.  So the HTTP server is doing something different
> natively with .txt files

No, the server does nothing with the files, unless you (actively)
configure it to do something.  There's no FTP-style text-vs-binary
in HTTP.

Sounds more like IE is doing something different based on name.
This is probably the same bug that let in a generation of Outlook
viruses, as described in the MIME RFCs going back to 1992.
Offering them at a .txt URL may be the best fix for broken
so-called browsers.

You could also use mod_txt with apache to convert to HTML
formatted to appear as your original text.

--
Nick Kew