httpd-users mailing list archives

From Zdravko Spoljar <zdravko.spol...@styria-it.hr>
Subject [users@httpd] apache over ServerLimit processes limit
Date Mon, 15 Feb 2010 12:19:07 GMT

hi all,

we have busy web site and for last few weeks we have problem with apache
processes eat all memory (that is problem, but not topic here).
I attempt to control problem by lowering ServerLimit (documentation states
that is max number of apache processes).

ServerLimit is at 75 (confirmed by /server-info as active value), but 'ps auxw'
show around 90-95 processes. process creation times are within 10 minutes.
i was try to report that as bug (in my view it is), but i got redirected here. :)

here is part of server config as-is:

<IfModule mpm_worker_module>
ServerLimit 75
ThreadLimit 30
        StartServers            11
        MinSpareThreads         45
        MaxSpareThreads         95
        ThreadsPerChild         25
        MaxClients              1500
        MaxRequestsPerChild     500
</IfModule>

tech info:
server is 12core, 8Gb ram. cpu usage is about 20-25% under normal load. memory is
about 45-50% in use at busier part of day.
apache is 2.2.14, gcc 4.3.4, gentoo distribution. php is 5.2.12.

problem development: at some point in time processes start to eat more memory (all, not single
one),
and server locks after 3-5 minutes (no swap configured as this make stuff even more painful).
if i grab some server statistics (ps, netstat, df...) between start of problem and lock-up,
see there are more apache processes than configured to be.

is this a bug in ServerLimit or that directive really cannot keep server
processes limited to number?

fli