httpd-users mailing list archives

From Robert Hall <rfh...@berkeley.edu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] JMeter Load Testing of Tomcat through Apache Proxy
Date Mon, 15 Feb 2010 18:53:11 GMT
Dan,

On Feb 15, 2010, at 10:37 AM, Dan Denton wrote:

> Hello all. I’m trying to load test a login page served by tomcat 6,
> proxied through apache 2 with mod_proxy. I’m using JMeter 2.3.4 to
> conduct the testing. My thread group consists of 500 sessions , and
> the sample is a GET of a simple login page.
>
> JMeter returns errors for a varying percentage of the samples. The
> errors returned are generally the following:
>
> at
> org
> .apache
> .jmeter
> .protocol.http.sampler.HTTPSamplerBase.sample(HTTPSamplerBase.java:
> 1037)
> at
> org
> .apache
> .jmeter
> .protocol.http.sampler.HTTPSamplerBase.sample(HTTPSamplerBase.java:
> 1023)
> at
> org
> .apache
> .jmeter.threads.JMeterThread.process_sampler(JMeterThread.java:346)
> at org.apache.jmeter.threads.JMeterThread.run(JMeterThread.java:243)
> at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
>
> The issues I’m having are twofold. I’m having difficulty determining
> if these errors are coming from JMeter or Tomcat, as they’re displayed
> in the response window of JMeter. The developers think the error is
> coming from JMeter given the last few lines of the trace above.

The developers are correct.

> Given that I'm not a programmer I should probably take their word
> for it,
> but why would JMeter show this error as the response?

The system you are running JMeter on isn't able to handle the load.

> Second, I've tried tweaking my process counts (startservers, maxspare,
> etc...) with no change in the outcome. I can mitigate the issue by
> pointing JMeter directly to tomcat, but I need this product to go
> through our apache proxy for SSL.
>
> Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

There must be some JMeter setting that will work otherwise you would
be unable
to access the webapp over SSL from the system that is hosting JMeter.

Try reducing everything to a count of 1 in JMeter.

If that doesn't work, there is a problem with the SSL config in
JMeter; google "jmeter ssl".

Otherwise, try spreading the load our across several JMeter instances
installed on separate systems.

- Robert