httpd-users mailing list archives

From Peter J Milanese <PMilan...@nypl.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Rewrite Voodoo pt. 2
Date Tue, 19 Jan 2010 22:42:52 GMT
As stated previously, RewriteRule is NOT the proper directive, and does not see the hostname.

RewriteCond will act as a filter for the hostname.

RewriteRule will not accomplish what you want, or whatever we 'think' you want. It does not
know anything about hostname.

----- Original Message -----
From: Reese [howell.r@inkworkswell.com]
Sent: 01/19/2010 05:24 PM EST
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Rewrite Voodoo pt. 2

On 19-Jan-10 17:16, Peter J Milanese wrote:
> Have to throw in something here. Tom gave you the right answers. What
> exactly is 'one of those'?

RTFM is not always the "right" answer to the question asked.

> The list is comprised of good questions and answers. Not part time
> employees :)

My efforts are unpaid as well, you would be correct to think of this
as my foaf effort for a good cause.

My attempt was:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule  ^(www\.)?domain\.ext/subdomain/(.*)$
subdomain\.domain\.ext/$2 [R=301,L]

I now think this would be better:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule  ^domain\.ext/subdomain/(.*)$ subdomain\.domain\.ext/$2
[R=301,L]

but I don't know why. Or if it will work. Or why. I'd like to know why.

Reese